If you’re a golf fan, you probably get excited at the possibility of attending the PGA TOUR Championship east of downtown Atlanta, Georgia. One of the biggest events in golf, the championship brings together the PGA TOUR’s 30 best golfers to compete for the FedEx Cup — and a hefty cash prize.
Since 2005, the TOUR Championship has been held each September at East Lake Golf Club, a gorgeous, storied course that’s also the oldest in the city of Atlanta. If you’re planning to attend the TOUR Championship, we’ve brought together this handy guide to finding a hotel, grabbing some food, snagging a parking spot, and more.
Reasons to go to the PGA TOUR Championship in Atlanta
So you want to go to the PGA TOUR Championship in Atlanta, one of the biggest events in golf. Chances are you don’t need extra reasons to attend, but the good news is, you’ll have them anyway, including:
- Awesome amenities. Even with the standard ticket option — known as a grounds ticket — you’ll have access to some great amenities designed to take your game experience to the next level.
- Unbeatable atmosphere. Watching the PGA TOUR Championship from home can be a pretty exciting experience, but it’s nothing compared to the feeling on the ground. With a massive crowd reacting to every swing and plenty of grandstands spread around the course, you’ll feel electric while experiencing the championship in person.
- The top prize. Only the 30 best players on the PGA Tour are invited to play at the TOUR Championship, meaning you’ll witness the best playing in the world — plus, with a multimillion-dollar purse on the line, the stakes couldn’t be higher.
- A historic course. Walking the grounds of East Lake Golf Club is itself a pretty great reason to attend the PGA TOUR Championship. Home to Bobby Jones, a true golfing legend, the course has already created an impressive history of its own since it started hosting the TOUR Championship in 2005.
- Catch the stars. The biggest names in golf will all be playing at the TOUR Championship, which makes it an ideal opportunity to see sports history happen in person. And who knows, you may even get to interact with your favorite player — and we don’t mean shouting at them through the TV screen.
Hotels Near the East Lake Golf Club
Need a hotel near East Lake Golf Club? You’ll have a few options depending on your needs, but we recommend the hotels below, all of which are close to the course
- InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta. The InterContinental Buckhead Atlanta is located just a 20-minute drive from the course, offering a top-notch luxury experience to its guests, replete with a fresh redesign.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta Decatur/Emory. Located just a 10-minute drive from the course, the Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta Decatur/Emory is also close to downtown Atlanta proper.
- Residence Inn by Marriott Decatur Emory Area. Residence Inn by Marriott Decatur Emory Area, located a 15-minute drive from the course, is conveniently located and boasts amenities including a hot breakfast and a fitness center.
Let’s Par-Tee: Restaurants Near East Lake Golf Club
Looking for a great place to grab a drink or a bite near East Lake Golf Club? You’re in luck. Here are a few popular sites in the area you’ll want to check out:
- Poor Hendrix. At Poor Hendrix, you’ll get a classic gastropub experience, complete with a great beer selection and plenty of tantalizing small-plates options.
- The Midway Pub. A huge beer selection and a menu of classic pub fare — think burgers and more — are on offer at The Midway Pub, which also boasts a large patio area.
- The Brick Store Pub. For a slightly fancier experience, check out The Brick Store Pub, which offers a tavern-like atmosphere and a Belgian Bar upstairs.
Make the Most of Your Game With Insider Tips
So you’ve made it to the PGA TOUR Championship and want to make sure you get the most out of the experience. Below, we’ve compiled a few insider tips to guarantee you get the most out of the game.
- Know where to watch. Because East Lake Golf Club is tailored to the experience of the TOUR Championship, every single hole will offer a pretty fantastic viewing experience. That said, there are a few practice areas — near Number 9 and the Number 18 green — that offer truly exceptional views.
- Follow players through. If you’re interested in checking out the course, it can be a great idea to follow one golfer or group through their play. You’ll have a truly unique experience of the course and its unique challenges through the eyes of a single player!
- Check out the practice areas. Hanging out by the course’s practice areas is an awesome way to see all the star players warm up in a slightly more relaxed environment.
- Take a virtual course tour. On the TOUR Championship’s website, you can take a quick virtual tour of the entire course and learn more about each hole and its characteristics — that way, when you’re watching the live play, you’ll be more immersed in the experience.
- Root for the underdogs. Everybody wants to follow the superstars, but it can be an equally rewarding experience to follow less famous players around — you’ll give them some welcome support, and they’ll also be more likely to interact with you!
Where to Park Near the East Lake Golf Club
When it comes to parking at the East Lake Golf Club during the TOUR Championship, there are a few public options you’ll want to be aware of.
- Wednesday through Sunday you’ll have access to public parking at the Georgia World Congress Center Marshalling Yard, located at 362 Ivan Allen Jr. Boulevard. Pricing is $15, and you’ll need to grab a spot ahead of time through ParkMobile.
- Friday through Sunday you’ll have access to additional public parking at the City of College Park, located at 2459 Riverdale Road in College Park, Georgia. Pricing is $10, and you’ll need to grab a spot ahead of time through ParkMobile.